Upon emailing for more details i was directed to the Galilee website. Galilee seems to be like a think tank for Christians who are committed to:
- "Supporting those who recognise the value of the spiritual journey.
- Living life from the inside out and encouraging others to do the same.
- Exploring our faith in terms people can understand.
- Making it safe to ask difficult questions.
- Helping others find their own answers and not imposing our own.
- Becoming the people God made us to be and helping others to do the same.
Sounds a good set of values to me!
On their website you can access this slide show about our views of scripture, which will no doubt get you thinking. The authors John and Paul (presumably not Lenon and McCartney) raise some really good points in particular highlighting the connection between the idea of the 'inneracy of scripture' and the enlightenment. To counteract the idea of inneracy they highlight a few of the discrepancies in the New Testament. They also talk about hermeneutics and our role in the reading. No conclusions except...
- A high view of Scripture is one you can stand under with integrity
- Understanding comes from standing under
- A spiritual journey is one of increasing honesty (truth)
- To value the Bible as Scripture is not the same as ascribing to it attributes which it neither has, nor claims to have